"Fire and Ice" by Robert Frost

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favour fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

"Fire and Ice in Relation to Robert Frost's Body of Work

"Fire and Ice" bears many of the characteristics that represent the body of work for Robert Frost. It is written in a simple manner, using a language set and vernacular that is designed to be easily understood. As is also a trend with Frost in his poetry, the subject matter of the poem deals deeply with human nature, exploring the implicit human emotions of desire and hatred. This subject matter, too, has a large capacity to be relatable to the audience, as it shares in collective human experience, in feelings that are experienced by all. Also in concurrence to the habits of Frost, these darker, deeper themes are presented in contrast to the simplicity and openness of the actual language of the poem, done intentionally to highlight the underlying theme. As a poem, this work also represents a significant break from the larger body of work of Robert Frost. While many of his poems are regionalist in nature, dealing with common aspects of life of New England, this poem does not exhibit the heavily regionalist nature, instead exhibiting a complete lack of it. This too is done to provide a point of contrast. By placing this poem outside of the ‘norm” for himself, Frost is able to effectively draw attention to this poem, lending a deeper level of significance to the poem and its warning. The regionalism of Frost's work, as well as the break from it that is represented by "Fire and Ice" can be seen in two of Frost's most famous poems.

The Road Not Taken – Robert Frost
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference. 

 and 

Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening - Robert Frost
Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep. 

As it can be seen, these works have a heavy focus upon the New England setting, a trait that, as aforementioned is not seen in "Fire and Ice." These two poems do share elements with "Fire and Ice," namely in the pattern of presenting deep, important themes under the guise of simple, understated words. This creates this previously mentioned accessibility to all audiences, while giving the poetry significant literary merit.